SubjectRe: coccinelle: api/devm_platform_ioremap_resource: remove useless script
On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 12:35:49 +0100,
Markus Elfring <Markus.Elfring@web.de> wrote:

> > I think part of the issue is that the script reports a WARNING
>
> How much does this information influence really the stress tolerance
> and change resistance (or acceptance) for the presented collateral evolution?
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/scripts/coccinelle/api/devm_platform_ioremap_resource.cocci

-ENOPARSE.

> > for something that is definitely correct code,
>
> Can related software improvement possibilities be taken into account
> again under other circumstances?

These patches provide no improvement whatsoever. As pointed out, they
mostly introduce bugs.

> > and could instead be simply toned down.
>
> Does this view mean that the mentioned script for the semantic patch language
> should get another chance for integration?

Providing Coccinelle scripts that scream about perfectly valid code is
pointless, and the result is actively harmful.

If said script was providing a correct semantic patch instead of being
an incentive for people to churn untested patches that span the whole
tree, that'd be a different story. But that's not what this is about.

> > Anyway, FWIW:
> >
> > Acked-by: Marc Zyngier <maz@kernel.org>
>
> Would you like to share any more constructive feedback?

No.

> Will similar source file mass updates be better picked up
> by other well-known Linux developers?

Certainly not for the subsystems I maintain.

M.

--
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny.

  Last update: 2019-10-19 22:43    [W:0.360 / U:0.204 seconds]