SubjectRe: [RFC] Memory Tiering
On 16.10.19 22:05, Dave Hansen wrote:
> The memory hierarchy is getting more complicated and the kernel is
> playing an increasing role in managing the different tiers. A few
> different groups of folks described "migration" optimizations they were
> doing in this area at LSF/MM earlier this year. One of the questions
> folks asked was why autonuma wasn't being used.
>
> At Intel, the primary new tier that we're looking at is persistent
> memory (PMEM). We'd like to be able to use "persistent memory"
> *without* using its persistence properties, treating it as slightly
> slower DRAM. Keith Busch has some patches to use NUMA migration to
> automatically migrate DRAM->PMEM instead of discarding it near the end
> of the reclaim process. Huang Ying has some patches which use a
> modified autonuma to migrate frequently-used data *back* from PMEM->DRAM.

Very interesting topic. I heard similar demand from HPC folks
(especially involving other memory types ("tiers")). There, I think you
often want to let the application manage that. But of course, for many
applications an automatic management might already be beneficial.

Am I correct that you are using PMEM in this area along with ZONE_DEVICE
and not by giving PMEM to the buddy (add_memory())?

--

Thanks,

David / dhildenb

  Last update: 2019-10-17 10:08    [W:0.123 / U:0.184 seconds]