SubjectRe: PCMCIA not working on Panasonic Toughbook CF-29
On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 05:04:28PM +1100, Michael . wrote:
> Good afternoon kernel developers
> Please accept my apology for contacting you directly about this. A
> small group of friends, some of whom are CCed here, have come together
> to try and find a solution to a problem that originated with the
> demise of kernel 2.6:32. First some background to the issue. We are
> all users of Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 models (ranging from Mark 1
> through to Mark 5). These Toughbooks have 2 PCMCIA card slots which
> are used by a variety of people for different purposes. On the CF-29
> Mark 1 through to Mark 3 these slots work without problem. On the
> CF-29 Mark 4 and Mark 5 the last known kernel the top slot worked with
> was 2.6:32. This has been confirmed all all major distros by most of
> the small group of friends I mentioned earlier.
>
> Thinking it was just a kernel config issue I did some comparisons
> between Debian 6 (Squeeze), Debian 7 (Wheezy), Ubuntu 10.04, and
> Ubuntu 10.10. On all machines both slots functioned as they should
> with Debian 6 and Ubuntu 10.04 but the top slot stopped working on
> Mark 4 and Mark 5 machines on the next release with the next kernel. I
> also tested Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 with the 2.6:32 and 2.6:35 kernel
> and both slots worked with the 2.6:32 kernel but not the 2.6:35
> kernel.With my comparisons I merged the config from 2.6:32 into the
> current kernel for Debian 4.19 and rebuilt the kernel, no matter what
> configuration changes I made the top slot still doesn't function on
> Mark 4 and Mark 5 machines.
>
> This issue, and its apparent start, has been confirmed on all major
> distro family groups. So this brings me, actually the small group of
> dedicated Linux users who own Panasonic Toughbook CF-29s, to contact
> you to ask for help in resolving this issue. I have some questions,
> and I realise the 2.6:32 kernel is long gone now but I'm hoping this
> is not a lost cause, what changes would have occurred between 2.6:32
> and 2.6:33 that would have stopped the hardware working on Mark 4 and
> Mark 5 CF-29 Toughbooks but not Mark 1 through to Mark 3? Would it be
> possible to correct the problem so that the hardware on our machines
> works as it should. While we are not kernel devs or even programmers
> we are enthusiasts who love Linux and our machines and we are hoping
> that together with you and the kernel dev group we can fix this issue
> together.
>
> I have attached various tar.gz files with ls* outputs so you can see
> the information we have so far. Thank you for taking the time to read
> this.

Is this with 16-bit PCMCIA cards, or with 32-bit CardBus cards? Either case,
please provide the output of

dmesg

lspci -vvv

and

lspcmcia -v -v

(ideally all for a working and non-working configuration).

Thanks,
Dominik

  Last update: 2019-10-15 08:48    [W:0.081 / U:0.732 seconds]