SubjectRe: [RFC v2 0/6] x86: dynamic indirect branch promotion
Date
Nadav Amit <namit@vmware.com> writes:

> - Do we use periodic learning or not? Josh suggested to reconfigure the
> branches whenever a new target is found. However, I do not know at
> this time how to do learning efficiently, without making learning much
> more expensive.

FWIW frequent patching will likely completely break perf Processor Trace
decoding, which needs a somewhat stable kernel text image to decode the
traces generated by the CPU. Right now it relies on kcore dumped after
the trace usually being stable because jumplabel changes happen only
infrequently. But if you start patching frequently this assumption will
break.

You would either need a way to turn this off, or provide
updates for every change to the trace, so that the decoder can
keep track.

-Andi

  Last update: 2019-01-03 23:19    [W:0.187 / U:0.068 seconds]