SubjectRe: New underflow of regulator enable count warnings in v5.0-rc1
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 8:48 AM Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looks like commit 5451781dadf8 ("regulator: core: Only count load for
> enabled consumers") started showing new warnings with v5.0-rc cycle:
>
> regulator-dummy: Underflow of regulator enable count
>
> I'm seeing this at least with my pwm-vibra test case:
>
> # rumble-test /dev/input/by-path/platform-vibrator-event 0xffff
> pwm-vibrator vibrator: vibrator supply vcc not found, using dummy regulator
> input: pwm-vibrator as /devices/platform/vibrator/input/input4
> regulator-dummy: Underflow of regulator enable count
> Upload rumble effect... id=0
> regulator-dummy: Underflow of regulator enable count
>
> Are these bogus warnings for dummy regulator or do we have
> real unpaired regulator calls or somewhere?

My first guess is that there's a real unpaired regulator call somewhere.

I actually meant to include this in the commit message, but I'm an
idiot and I used "--" to break up the parts of the commit message
which confused git when Mark applied it. Sigh. For the full commit
message, see:

https://lkml.kernel.org/r/20181120175255.227783-1-dianders@chromium.org

In that message I said:

> - We can (and will) spit errors out for code that used to be invalid
> but was never caught before. Specifically if someone leaves a
> regulator enabled and calls regulator_put() we'll yell. We'll also
> yell if a single consumer calls more disables than enables.

Looking quickly at 'pwm-vibra.c' it wouldn't surprise me at all if you
call regulator_disable() more times than regulator_enable(). If
that's true it should be fixed.

-Doug

  Last update: 2019-01-29 18:05    [W:1.738 / U:0.116 seconds]