SubjectRe: [Qestion] Softlockup when send IPI to other CPUs
Hi Will,

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 05:44:02AM +0000, Will Deacon wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 02:21:28PM +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:

> > > This looks like another lockup that would be solved if we deferred our
> > > I-cache invalidation when mapping user-executable pages, and instead
> > > performed the invalidation off the back of a UXN permission fault, where we
> > > could avoid holding any locks.
> >
> > Looking back at commit 3b8c9f1cdfc5 ("arm64: IPI each CPU after
> > invalidating the I-cache for kernel mappings"), the text implies that it
> > should only do this for kernel mappings. I don't think we need this for
> > user mappings. We have a few scenarios where we invoke set_pte_at() with
> > exec permission:
>
> Yes, I think you're right. I got confused because in this case we are
> invalidating lines written by the kernel, but actually it's not about who
> writes the data, but about whether or not the page table is being changed.

IIUC we may have a userspace problem analagous to the kernel modules
problem, if userspace uses dlopen/dlclose to dynamically load/unload
shared objects.

If userspace unloads an object, then loads another, the new object might
get placed at the same VA. A PE could have started speculating
instructions from the old object, and IIUC the TLB invalidation and
I-cache maintenance don't cause those instructions be re-fetched from
the I-cache unless there's a context synchronization event.

Do we require the use of membarrier when loading or unloading objects?
If so, when does that happen relative to the unmap or map?

Thanks,
Mark.

  Last update: 2019-01-22 15:56    [W:0.139 / U:0.428 seconds]