SubjectRe: Plain accesses and data races in the Linux Kernel Memory Model
On Fri, 18 Jan 2019, Andrea Parri wrote:

> > A relatively simple solution to this problem would be to say that
> > smp_wmb doesn't order plain writes.
>
> It seems so; I don't have other solutions to suggest ATM. (But, TBH,
> I'm still in the process of reviewing/testing these changes... )
>
> And yes, this is a pain! : I don't have the exact statistics, but I'm
> willing to believe that removing this order will take us back ~99% of
> the current (~500!) uses of smp_wmb() ;-/
>
> Oh, well, maybe we'll find a better solution one day: after all, that
> one doesn't seem worse than what the current LKMM has to say! ;-)
>

> > I think the rest of the memory model would then be okay. However, I am
> > open to arguments that this approach is too complex and we should
> > insist on the same kind of strict ordering for race avoidance that the
> > C11 standard uses (i.e., conflicting accesses separated by full memory
> > barriers or release & acquire barriers or locking).
>
> Indeed; maybe, we've just found another reason to obsolete smp_wmb()! ;-)

Here's another example of how smp_wmb can cause trouble. In this test,
I have replaced "*x = 1" in P1 with "r2 = *x; if (r2 != 1) *x = 1",
which is a perfectly valid transformation for the compiler to make.
But as a result of this transformation, the MP pattern between P1 and
P2 is now allowed!

This shows that when plain accesses are involved, smp_wmb() in the
writing thread is not sufficient to forbid MP.

Alan

C bad-wmb

{}

P0(int *x, int *y)
{
WRITE_ONCE(*x, 1);
smp_store_release(y, 1);
}

P1(int *x, int *y, int *z)
{
int r1;
int r2;

r1 = smp_load_acquire(y);
if (r1) {
/* Instead of *x = 1 ... */
r2 = *x;
if (r2 != 1)
*x = 1;
smp_wmb();
WRITE_ONCE(*z, 1);
}
}

P2(int *x, int *z)
{
int r3;
int r4 = 0;

r3 = READ_ONCE(*z);
if (r3) {
smp_rmb();
r4 = READ_ONCE(*x);
}
}

exists (2:r3=1 /\ 2:r4=0)

  Last update: 2019-01-18 17:43    [W:0.060 / U:1.376 seconds]