SubjectRe: defconfig fails if CROSS_COMPILE is set while cross-gcc is not avaialble
Hi Alexey,

> Hi Masahiro,
>
> On Wed, 2018-09-12 at 21:53 +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
>> Hi Alexey.

>> > Hello Masahiro-san,
>> >
>> > Starting from kernel v4.17 it is no longer possible to install kernel headers
>> > for ARC architecture if there's no cross-toolchain in PATH.
>>

>> Really?
>>
>> I can do 'make ARCH=arc headers_install'
>> with the latest Linus' tree.
>
> Indeed "headers_install" works that way but is it OK to install headers
> without previous configuration. In my experiment I don't see any differences
> though for example OpenEmbedded on configuration step of "linux-libc-headers"
> do "ARCH=xxx make allnoconfig", see
> https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/blob/master/meta/recipes-kernel/linux-libc-headers/linux-libc-headers.inc#L57
>
> That might be some legacy but I'm not really sure,
> worth asking OE people.
>
> For the record in Buildroot no configuration happens for Linux headers,
> see https://git.buildroot.org/buildroot/tree/package/linux-headers/linux-headers.mk#n106

Buildroot is right.

The exported headers should be independent of the kernel configuration.

The interface between user-space and kernel must be stable.
It is strange if it is changed depending on how you configure the kernel.

>> I see the following warnings, but possible to install kernel headers.
>>
>> ./scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 26: arc-linux-gcc: command not found
>> ./scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 27: arc-linux-gcc: command not found
>
> Right... that happens because we're doing 2 hackish things:
> 1. Checking if current toolchain is configured for ARCompact (ARCv1) ISA
> or ARCv2. That's because we use toolchain's libgcc and so we want to warn
> a user if wrong toolchain is used early instead of leaving him to deal with
> final linkage failure.
> See: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/arc/Makefile#n23
>
> 2. Asking CC for a path to libgcc
> See: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/arc/Makefile#n82
>
> [snip]
>
>> I am trying to fix even those warnings
>> by eliminating unneeded compiler invocation. It is WIP.
>
> And if (1) is not super important (in fact we used to live without it for years)
> (2) requires implementation of libgcc in kernel sources (which BTW will make (1)
> obsolete immediately). We do have it on our todo list though...
> [snip]
>
>> > That doesn't happen for ARM and other arches simply because for ARC
>> > we define CROSS_COMPILE if it is not set by user, see:
>> >
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__git.kernel.org_pub_scm_linux_kernel_git_torvalds_linux.git_tree_arch_arc_Makefile-23n9&d=DwIBaQ&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=lqdeeSSEes0GFDDl656eViXO7breS55ytWkhpk5R81I&m=zJsa5MrAtDiYEWr5PZNS1aGk21ETa-qXzLPIddwvoQI&s=BU0ltPPoRLn3np_ba4HRHfH9i141uZjoS8jsJrg8SNc&e=
>>
>> I do not think it is a good practice
>> to forcibly set CROSS_COMPILE that users may not have.
>
> Maybe so. Still some arches or random platforms do that.
>
>> arch/m68k/Makefile uses cc-cross-prefix helper
>> to set the first found compiler.
>
> Well I'm not really sure we need to mess with CROSS_COMPILE in kernel.
> I.e. there might be tons of variations depending on who toolchain was built
> etc. So I'd better get rid of CROSS_COMPILE setup in our Makefile.

Agree. Getting rid of CROSS_COMPILE is better.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

  Last update: 2018-09-12 17:01    [W:0.058 / U:0.692 seconds]