SubjectRe: [RFC] memory_hotplug: Free pages as pageblock_order
On 2018-09-12 18:47, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Wed 12-09-18 22:57:43, Balbir Singh wrote:
>> >
>> > Where does the improvement come from? You are still doing the same
>> > amount of work except that the number of callbacks is lower. Is this the
>> > real source of 60% improvement?
>> >

>> It looks like only the first page of the pageblock is initialized, is
>> some of the cost amortized in terms of doing one initialization for
>> the page with order (order) and then relying on split_page and helpers
>> to do the rest? Of course the number of callbacks reduce by a
>> significant
>> number as well.
>
> Ohh, I have missed that part. Now when re-reading I can see the reason
> for the perf improvement. It is most likely the higher order free which
> ends up being much cheaper. This part makes some sense.
>
> How much is this feasible is another question. Do not forget we have
> those external providers of the online callback and those would need to
> be updated as well.
Sure Michal, I ll look into this.

> Btw. the normal memmap init code path does the same per-page free as
> well. If we really want to speed the hotplug path then I guess the init
> one would see a bigger improvement and those two should be in sync.
Thanks for pointers, Will look further.

>> > [...]
>
> btw. you want init_page_count here.
Do you mean replace set_page_count(p, 0) with init_page_count(page)?
Because init_page_count is setting the page _refcount to 1

static inline void init_page_count(struct page *page)
{
set_page_count(page, 1);
}

I thought in case of higher order pages only the first struct page
should have _refcount to 1 before calling __free_pages(). Please correct
me if wrong.

Regards,
Arun

  Last update: 2018-09-12 16:43    [W:0.225 / U:0.400 seconds]