SubjectRe: linux-next: build warning after merge of the net-next tree
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 08:09:06AM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>>> Hi Guenter,

>>> OK, my mistake, the "make allmodconfig" works, the following "make"
>>> causes the config restart. (I am actually doing cross builds and using
>>> an external object directory, in case that matters.)
>>>
>>> I removed the "imply HWMON" line added by the above commit and the
>>> problem went away. Also, using "depends on HWMON || HWMON=n" instead
>>> of the imply fixes it.
>>
>> Yes, replacing imply with the dependency is what I did in the fixup patch.
>> Sorry, I should have copied you: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10534925/
>>
>> It is a bit different - imply was supposed to enforce HWMON={y,n} if SFP=y,
>> and the depends line enforces SFP={n,m} if HWMON=m. I have no idea why
>> imply doesn't work, but I think I'll stay away from it in the future.
>>
>> Guenter
>

> Hmm, this could be a Kconfig bug.
>
> I will take a look.

Today, I took a look at it.

The cause of the problem was the circular dependency.

Somehow, 'imply' is not checked in the circular dependency.

So, I wrote patches to report this.
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10565061/
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10565063/

If you apply those two patches on top of commit
1323061a018a ("net: phy: sfp: Add HWMON support for module sensors")
It is reported in allmodconfig stage, like this:

masahiro@grover:~/ref/linux-next$ make allmodconfig
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
YACC scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/conf
scripts/kconfig/conf --allmodconfig Kconfig
drivers/of/Kconfig:68:error: recursive dependency detected!
drivers/of/Kconfig:68: symbol OF_IRQ depends on IRQ_DOMAIN
kernel/irq/Kconfig:63: symbol IRQ_DOMAIN is selected by REGMAP
drivers/base/regmap/Kconfig:6: symbol REGMAP is selected by SENSORS_ASPEED
drivers/hwmon/Kconfig:352: symbol SENSORS_ASPEED depends on HWMON
drivers/hwmon/Kconfig:5: symbol HWMON is implied by SFP
drivers/net/phy/Kconfig:214: symbol SFP depends on PHYLIB
drivers/net/phy/Kconfig:181: symbol PHYLIB is selected by ARC_EMAC_CORE
drivers/net/ethernet/arc/Kconfig:18: symbol ARC_EMAC_CORE is selected
by ARC_EMAC
drivers/net/ethernet/arc/Kconfig:24: symbol ARC_EMAC depends on OF_IRQ
For a resolution refer to Documentation/kbuild/kconfig-language.txt
subsection "Kconfig recursive dependency limitations"

#
# configuration written to .config
#

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada

  Last update: 2018-08-14 09:07    [W:0.071 / U:0.256 seconds]