SubjectRe: Showing /sys/fs/cgroup/memory/memory.stat very slow on some machines
On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 10:58 AM Bruce Merry <bmerry@ska.ac.za> wrote:

> >> Thanks, that makes sense. I'll see if I can reproduce the issue. Do
> >> you expect the same thing to happen with normal (non-tmpfs) files that
> >> are sitting in the page cache, and/or dentries?
> >>

> > Normal files and their dentries can get reclaimed while tmpfs will
> > stick and even if the data of tmpfs goes to swap, the kmem related to
> > tmpfs files will remain in memory.
>
> Sure, page cache and dentries are reclaimable given memory pressure.
> These machines all have more memory than they need though (64GB+) and
> generally don't come under any memory pressure. I'm just wondering if
> the behaviour we're seeing can be explained as a result of a lot of
> dentries sticking around (because there is no memory pressure) and in
> turn causing a lot of zombie cgroups to stay present until something
> forces reclamation of dentries.

Yes, if there is no memory pressure such memory can stay around.

On your production machine, before deleting memory containers, you can
try force_empty to reclaim such memory from them. See if that helps.

Shakeel

  Last update: 2018-07-18 20:13    [W:0.128 / U:0.012 seconds]