SubjectRe: linux-next: Signed-off-by missing for commits in the arm-soc tree
On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 05:24:08PM +0800, Chen-Yu Tsai wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 5:13 PM, Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 07/15/2018 03:50 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:
> >> Thanks Stephen, I keep saying every time you catch these that I need
> >> to run the same script. :(
> >>
> >> Florian, I wonder if this happened when you rebased to squash in the fix?
> >
> > Humm, could be, all I did (and it was not the first time) was to do an
> > interactive rebase with --preserve-merges. AFAICT, all of these commits
> > came from Eric's pull request, so what I typically do is just sign off
> > on the merge commit, but do not apply my SoB to all commits coming from
> > that pull request if that makes sense?
>
> When you rebase, if the commit is re-applied, the committer changes to
> you, so you need to add your SoB to all commits you rebased.
>
> I suppose you could override it with GIT_COMMITTER_NAME and
> GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL environment variables, but that sort of distorts
> the SoB if any changes were added due to rebasing, such as resolution
> of merge conflicts.

A different point: should *anyone* be rebasing commits that they did not
themselves commit. Discuss.

IMHO no - the commits were made public, and anyone could pull the tree
from which they came in order to do further work before submitting that.
Rebasing changes the commit IDs, which can lead to duplicate commits
ending up in mainline. With other changes on top, this causes totally
unnecessary conflicts.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 13.8Mbps down 630kbps up

  Last update: 2018-07-16 11:57    [W:0.103 / U:0.116 seconds]