SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] libnvdimm for 4.18
On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 5:19 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> If I get stuff that looks at all complex at the end of the merge
> window, I will just cackle unpleasantly while I press the big 'D' key
> on my keyboard.

Side note: looking at what I just pulled, there was close to a D key here too.

Dammit, the top commit in your tree is a merge. And the merge message
for that merge is this:

Merge branch 'for-4.18/mcsafe' into libnvdimm-for-next

That's it. One line. That doesn't say anything at all.

That kind of uninformative commit message wouldn't be remotely
acceptable for a regular simple one-liner patch.

WHY THE HELL DO PEOPLE CONTINUE TO THINK THAT IT'S OK FOR MERGES?

Dammit. Merges are *more* complex than random usual patches. They need
proper commit messages. Yet you have two merges there with absolutely
*no* information in the commit message.

If you can't be bothered to write an informative commit message for a
merge, you damn well shouldn't do the merge.

It really is that simple.

Linus

  Last update: 2018-06-09 02:27    [W:0.061 / U:0.072 seconds]