SubjectRe: config files and how to have persistent Linux kernel Driver/File System configuration info saved
On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 11:44 PM Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 06:24:59PM -0500, Steve French wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 6:21 PM ronnie sahlberg
> > <ronniesahlberg@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > True, but in these cases I think we are more looking at server or
> > > mountpoint specific options than
> > > actual fs tuning.
> > >
> > > For example nfsmount.conf can be used to say "only use NFSv4 when
> > > accessing server abc" etc.
> > > For the case of CIFS I could imagine that an administrator might want
> > > to set "disable smb1 protocol globally"
> >
> > Or perhaps
> > "disable smb1 on " ... various public networks but allow it on
> > private networks
>
> The way the policy is configured depends on the mechanism used to
> configure the policy. If it's a sysctl or a mount option, then we've
> already got everything we need. If it's something dynamic in sysfs,
> then I think you're on your own.
>
> FYI, I have been looking at making sysctl be able to work on /sys
> rather than just /proc/sys (I have a 10 line hack to enable it) so
> we could re-use it with custom per-mount ...
<snip>
> So, really, I'm probably just going roll our own sysfs config file
> mechanism into xfs_spaceman (probably based on the new config file
> parser we have for mkfs.xfs) and hide the mess with a nice, simple
> xfs_admin interface for udev to call. i.e. roll our own :)

Since we don't really have a registry, or equivalent (unless Samba is
installed),
probably will have to do something like that for other file systems too :)
Am now thinking that we need an "smb3_admin" (or "cifs_admin") tool,
because it makes it possible to configure the ultra-confusing /etc config files
and /proc and /sys config pseudo files more sanely and less error prone.

--
Thanks,

Steve

  Last update: 2018-06-29 21:54    [W:0.776 / U:0.080 seconds]