SubjectAmiga RDB partition support for disks >= 2 TB (was: Re: moving affs + RDB partition support to staging?)
Date
Dear Joanne.

jdow - 28.06.18, 08:39:
> Anything done to RDBs for Linux must remain 100.000% compatible with
> existing Amiga equipment. Otherwise, what's the point of bothering to
> use RDBs?

Done to, in the sense of written to: Yes. I completely agree. But that
is for amiga-fdisk and parted. And for partitioning tools on native OS.

[…]
> That brings to the fore an interesting question. Why bother with RDBs
> over 2TB unless you want a disk with one single partition? This Win10
> monster I am using has a modest BIOS driver partition for the OS and
> a giant data partition. That smaller partition would easily work with
> any RDB/Filesystem combination since 2.0. So there are some good
> workarounds that are probably "safer" and at least as flexible as
> RDBs, one Linux has used for a very long time, too.

Well, my use case was simple:

I had this 2 TB disk and I choose to share it as a backup disk for Linux
*and* AmigaOS 4.x on that Sam440ep I still have next to me desk here.

As AmigaOS up to my knowledge does not have GPT support and MBR with 2
TB disk is asking for even more trouble and is not supported in any
sensible partitioning tool on AmigaOS and I choose to use Media Toolbox,
I went with RDB as I thought it is nicely supported in Linux, which it
is, apart from the overflowing issue.

So I did it this way.

> As I have said, for the RDB parser fix the famndool thing. Do fix it
> right in such a manner that if somebody compiles it against a version
> with no 64 bit device code it will throw a proper overflow error and
> protect the user. Users are dumb. We like to think of ourselves as

Sure, if the Linux kernel can´t handle it due to missing CONFIG_LBDAF or
so… by all means *bail* out. Without even a kernel option to parse this
anyway. No overflowing. Period. That is what I wrote from the beginning.

> smart. Let's try to be smart about this where we can so fingers can't
> point back at us rather than the fool that made some other error.

I completely agree.

> And do remember, I am merely (and vociferously) advising rather than
> dictating. You don't need my approval to proceed. I may want my name
> noted as an early contributor only. Meanwhile I spit out ideas as
> they come to me. One or more of them might be good. And offering
> alternatives is better than simply saying "No" most of the time.
>
> If people are using RDBs for TB level disks I doubt they can remember
> which is the left shoe when they are getting dressed in the morning
> before going out in the yard to beat some dead horses. Or else maybe

Heh, I remembered my shoes back then. And I informed myself about what I
was doing.

> they just want to see how far they can flog the m68k architecture as
> a mental challenge. In that case, taking it too seriously could hurt.

And well, yes… I wanted to see how far I can get away with it :)

> Note that I am mostly ignoring m68k Linux. People using that are hard
> core. People using x86/x64 Linux aren't such hard core folks. And I
> bet most of them want to read the disks so they can copy stuff to
> Amiga Forever or WinUAE running on other architectures. So TB is not
> likely to be an issue for them, either.

Yes.

Print a warning and be done with it in the RDB parser code.

Put a big fat warning into amiga-fdisk and parted!

Thanks,
Martin