SubjectRe: Simplifying our RCU models
On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 at 09:51:34AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 04:44:25PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > I am currently in the design (more accurately, reredesign phase) for
> > > the simplification. It is quite possible that there is a good reason
> > > for at least some renaming, but in that case, I would come back later
> > > with that as a separate proposal.
> >
> > And I really am still working on this. It is a bit tricky, but still
> > looks doable. More likely to be ready for 4.19 than 4.18, though.
>
> I suppose it is well past time for an update...
>
> I believe I have the preparation work done (famous last words!), and I am
> now working on making rcutorture properly test the resulting compound RCU
> read-side critical sections. User-level testing might be necessary (and
> has been for some of the preparatory work). The ink-on-paper prototype
> is starting to look promising, and I expect to get the corresponding
> prototype patch posted by the end of this month.
>
> A bit trickier than I expected (as usual), but still looking doable.

And it now passes light rcutorture testing, so I have posted an RFC
series to LKML:

lkml.kernel.org/r/20180627204835.GA25456@linux.vnet.ibm.com

There will be a long series of cleanups that will remove the other
flavors and also the code that supports multiple flavors, but there are
probably quite a few bugs to fix in this particular patch between now
and then. ;-)

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2018-06-28 00:26    [W:0.096 / U:0.712 seconds]