SubjectRe: rseq: How to test for compat task at signal delivery
----- On Jun 26, 2018, at 4:46 PM, Andy Lutomirski luto@amacapital.net wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 1:12 PM Mathieu Desnoyers
> <mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com> wrote:
>>
>> ----- On Jun 26, 2018, at 3:55 PM, Andy Lutomirski luto@amacapital.net wrote:

>> > This ABI isn't real ABI until a stable kernel happens, right? So how
>> > about just making all those fields be u64?
>>
>> Good point. Unlike the rseq_cs field in the struct rseq TLS, those
>> fields don't need to be word-sized/word-aligned, so we could simply
>> declare them as __u64.

>> > Sounds like a design error. Have all kernels read the fields no
>> > matter what. A 32-bit kernel will send SIGSEGV if the high bits are
>> > set. A 64-bit kernel running compat userspace should make sure that a
>> > 32-bit task dies if the high bits are set.
>>
>> If we end up declaring those as __u64, that approach makes sense.

>> > I think the modern preference is to use fields of fixed size rather
>> > than long when UABI is involved.
>> >
>> > In any event, I think the test you want is user_64bit_mode().
>>
>> Currently, user_64bit_mode is only implemented on x86.
>>
>> Should we introduce an architecture-agnostic user_64bit_mode(struct pt_regs *)
>> which maps to is_compat_task() for non-x86 ? I'm just worried that ptrace
>> code could try to use it from the context of another task and get mixed up.
>
> I'm not sure other archs can do this. It might need to have a
> task_struct pointer, too.
>
> But I think the only actual consideration is that a lot of
> architectures might fail to kill the task if the task is 32-bit and
> regs->ip or regs->sp ends up with garbage in the high bits. Certainly
> x86 is not consistent about this. So maybe a helper to fully validate
> all 64 bits of ip and sp or perhaps helpers to set them and check for
> full validity would be better. Like:
>
> void set_task_64bit_ip_or_signal(struct task_struct *, u64 value);
>
> that promises to actually signal the task if value is garbage?
>
> Let's ask linux-arch here. I'm not nearly familiar enough with the
> nasty details of other compat-capable architectures. x86 is very,
> very, very inconsistent about how what the high bits of the registers
> mean, and there are cases where the "high bits" involved are actually
> the high 48 bits, not the high 32 bits. Sigh.

For the records, I just sent out 2 patches as RFC implementing the
is_compat_frame() approach, and clearing the high bits for compat tasks.

It has the merit to be straightforward and introduce few changes at
this stage of the -rc.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.

  Last update: 2018-06-26 23:20    [W:0.076 / U:1.724 seconds]