SubjectRe: Cgroups "pids" controller does not update "pids.current" count immediately
Hi,

Thank you for the quick and insightful reply. I have one suggestion below:

On 15.6.2018 г. 18:41 ч., Tejun Heo wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 05:26:04PM +0300, Ivan Zahariev wrote:
>> The standard RLIMIT_NPROC does not suffer from such accounting
>> discrepancies at any time.
> They seem equivalent but serve a bit different purposes. RLIMIT_NPROC
> is primarily about limiting what the user can do and doesn't guarantee
> that that actually matches resource (pid here) consumption.
>
>> Is it really technically not possible to make "pids.current" do
>> accounting properly like RLIMIT_NPROC does? We were hoping to
>> replace RLIMIT_NPROC with the "pids" controller.
> It is of course possible but at a cost. The cost (getting rid of lazy
> release optimizations) is just not justifiable for most cases.

I understand all concerns and design decisions. However, having
RLIMIT_NPROC support combined with "cgroups" hierarchy would be very handy.

Does it make sense that you introduce "nproc.current" and "nproc.max"
metrics which work in the same atomic, real-time way like RLIMIT_NPROC?
Or make this in a new "nproc" controller?

--
Ivan

  Last update: 2018-06-15 18:08    [W:0.067 / U:0.840 seconds]