SubjectRe: moving affs + RDB partition support to staging?
Martin,

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 7:08 PM, Martin Steigerwald <martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> Michael Schmitz - 07.05.18, 04:40:
>> Al,
>>
>> I don't think there is USB sticks with affs on them as yet. There
>> isn't even USB host controller support for Amiga hardware (yet).
>>
>> Last I tried USB on m68k (Atari, 060 accelerator) the desktop
>> experience was such that I'd rather not repeat that in a hurry (and
>> that was a simple FAT USB stick).
>
> There is USB support available on Amiga since a long time.

Good to hear that. I stand corrected.

> On "Classic" Amigas AmigaOS 3.x with Poseidon USB stack + some USB card.

Haven't seen a Linux driver for that 'some USB card' yet.

> On AmigaOS 4.x built-in. AmigaOS 4.x hardware like Sam boards from Acube
> Systems have USB controllers that work out of the bux.

Forgot about the new (non-m68k) hardware. My focus is somewhat narrow,
on m68k and Linux.

> And I am pretty sure, you can also tell it to use Amiga Fast Filesystem
> (on Linux affs) on an USB stick. Also you can plug in an external
> harddisk with RDB partitions and whatever filesystems you wish.

I already conceded that's possible.

So our problem with the bug Al spotted, and AFFS on USB media are twtofold:

AmigaOS:
Exploitable: yes (unless the AmigaOS AFFS driver detects and mitigates this).
Likelihood: low (as Joanne said there are easier ways to do harm to
these systems)

Linux:
Exploitable: yes, except on hardware that doesn't have USB hardware support.
Likelihood: high

Can we blacklist affs from being autoloaded through udev on USB
storage media discovery?

Cheers,

Michael

  Last update: 2018-05-07 22:50    [W:0.172 / U:0.164 seconds]