SubjectRe: kernel panic: EXT4-fs (device loop0): panic forced after error
On Sun, May 06, 2018 at 02:03:57PM +0900, Tetsuo Handa wrote:

> Since syzbot is hitting this error path inside mount() request, calling
> panic() when something went wrong inside mount() request might be
> overkill. We can recover without shutting down the system, can't we?

We could add a full kernel-mode fsck which gets run before mount ---
the question is how much complexity we want to add. If SELinux is
enabled, then we have to check xattr consinsistency, etc., etc.

> > I could mark this as a one-off invalid bug, but if syzkaller is going
> > to be generating classes of corrupted file systems like this, and are
> > going to be complaing about how this causes the kernel to crash, then
> > we have a fundamental syzkaller BUG.
> >
> If we won't try to recover this case, this specific report would be
> marked as "#syz invalid".

I can do that for this specific case. Howevre, I'd rather not have to
mark a large number of reports as invalid, if syz is going to produce
a large number of such things. Which is why I'm raising the questihon
--- is there any way we can make syz smart enough to not raise false
positvies in this case?

In the future I can see the repro attempting to actually do stuff with
the mounted file system, which is why I want to put my foot down now
before the only answer really is adding a kernel-mode fsck before the
file system is allowed to be mounted.

Root is always going to be able to crash the system. For example,
suppose syzkaller creates a repros which opens /dev/mem and starts
scribbling all over it. Would we be happy if it started creating
large number of reports for that class of "bug"?

- Ted

  Last update: 2018-05-06 15:33    [W:0.259 / U:0.024 seconds]