    SubjectRe: Bugs involving maliciously crafted file system
    On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 1:42 PM Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com> wrote:
    > We've learnt this lesson the hard way over and over again: don't
    > parse untrusted input in privileged contexts. How many times do we
    > have to make the same mistakes before people start to learn from
    > them?

    You're not wrong, but we haven't considered root to be fundamentally
    trustworthy for years - there are multiple kernel features that can be
    configured such that root is no longer able to do certain things (the
    one-way trap for requiring module signatures is the most obvious, but
    IMA in appraisal mode will also restrict root), and as a result it's
    not reasonable to be worried only about users - it's also necessary to
    prevent root form being able to deliberately mount a filesystem that
    results in arbitrary code execution in the kernel.

      Last update: 2018-05-30 22:53    [W:2.608 / U:0.056 seconds]