SubjectRe: fd3e45436660 ("ACPI / NUMA: ia64: Parse all entries of SRAT memory affinity table")
On Thu 10-05-18 08:27:35, Ganapatrao Kulkarni wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 6:26 PM, Michal Hocko <mhocko@kernel.org> wrote:
> > On Wed 09-05-18 18:07:16, Ganapatrao Kulkarni wrote:
> >> Hi Michal

> >> IIRC, the MEMBLOCK beyond max limit getting dropped from visible
> >> memory(partial drop from a node).
> >> this patch removed any upper limit on memblocks and allowed to parse
> >> all entries of SRAT.
> >
> > Yeah I've understood that much. My question is, however, why do we care
> > about parsing the NUMA topology when we fallback into a single NUMA node
> > anyway? Or do I misunderstand the code? I do not have any platform with
> > that many memblocks.
>
> IMHO, this fix is very much logical by removing the SRAT parsing restriction.
> below is the crash log which made us to debug and eventually fix with
> this patch.

Ohh, I am not saying that the current code handles too many memblocks
correctly. I just think that your fix is not correct or incomplete at
least. Assuming that my understanding is correct which you haven't
disputed yet. So can we focus on the proper solution now? Do we actually
need the memblock restrictions? We do not need those for reserved
memblocks so I do not see any real reason to simply remove the
restriction altogether. Have you explored that option?
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2018-05-10 09:31    [W:0.090 / U:0.148 seconds]