SubjectDell WMI Hotkeys on Dell Inspiron 15R SE (7520)
Hello!

Mistave contacted me, because he has Dell Inspiron 15R SE (7520) on
which are not working 3 hotkeys located in the right upper corner.

After debugging we find out that this Dell Inspirion sends following WMI
event to dell-wmi.c driver:

Left WMI key: Windows Mobility Center
Press: Key with type 0x0000 and code 0xe026 pressed
Hold: -
Release: -

Only the press event was observed. It does not repeat when held down.

Middle WMI key: Dell Audio With Preset Switch
Press: Key with type 0x0000 and code 0xe02a pressed
Hold: Key with type 0x0000 and code 0xe02b pressed
(code 0xe02a also repeats continuously)
Release: Key with type 0x0000 and code 0xe02c pressed

Code 0xe02a repeats, if button is held down. After about 3 seconds a
single code 0xe02b entry will also appear. When released before the code
0xe02b pops up, the code 0xe02c will appear. If released afterwards,
code 0xe02c does not appear.

Right WMI key: Dell Instant Launch
Press: -
Hold: Key with type 0x0000 and code 0xe025 pressed
Release: Key with type 0x0000 and code 0xe024 pressed

Code 0xe024 only appears, if the button is released within about 3
seconds. If held down for longer, a single code 0xe025 will appear. If
released after the code 0xe025 appears, the code 0xe024 will not appear.

Such hold and release events in 3sec time period are strange and I'm not
sure how we should handle them. Any idea?

Also there is another problem. Driver dell-wmi.c ignores 0xe025 events
because on all other machines it is reported also by PS/2 internal
keyboard. But seems not on this Dell Inspirion. How to handle this fact?
Add a new quirk into dell-wmi.c code?

Mario, do you have a documentation or something which can prove above
observation that keys are really reported via such strange WMI events?

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com

  Last update: 2018-05-01 13:00    [W:0.026 / U:0.128 seconds]