SubjectRe: Suggested new user link command
Good point.  But there are gid and uid fields in inode disc record.

https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Disk_Layout#Inode_Table

I assume these can be use to ensure that the directory in which it is to
be placed has permissions to accept the inode.  If that is not the case
then it would have to be a root only syscall.

Tony

On 01/05/18 21:03, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Tue, 2018-05-01 at 20:03 +1200, Tony Wallace wrote:
>> I am suggesting a new command for linking files. Currently there is
>> no
>> easy way to link a file with a known inode number to its correct
>> position in the directory tree.
>>

>> int ilink(const int inode, const char *newpath)
> ... avoiding any permission checks on all paths to the existing names.
>
>> The current alternative to this command is to find the file path
>> associated with an inode using the find command and then once found
>> using a standard link command. Obviously this is very inefficient.
> That's the price for security as it requires proper permissions.
> Or is this a root-only syscall?
>
> MfG,
> Bernd

  Last update: 2018-05-01 12:59    [W:0.222 / U:0.108 seconds]