SubjectRe: moving affs + RDB partition support to staging? (was: Re: Moving unmaintained filesystems to staging)
Date
Geert Uytterhoeven - 26.04.18, 13:08:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 12:28 PM, Martin Steigerwald
>
> <martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> > You probably put your stick into a cave with ancient sleeping
> > dragons
> >
> > Added in linux-m68k mailing list, as they likely have an opinion on
> > how to treat affs + RDB partition support. Also added in Jens Axboe
> > about patching that RDB support broken with 2 TB or larger
> > harddisks issue which had been in Linux kernel for 6 years while a
> > patch exists that to my testing back then solves the issue.
[…]
> If there are bugs in the RDB parser that people run into, they should
> be fixed.
> If there are limitations in the RDB format on large disks, that's
> still not a reason to move it to staging (hi msdos partitioning!).

What I ran into was *not* a limitation in the RDB format, but a bug in
the Linux implementation on it. After Joanne Dow´s change the 2 TB disk
was detected and handled properly by Linux. Also AmigaOS 4.x handles
those disks just well and I think also AmigaOS 3.1/3.5/3.9 supported
them, but I am not sure on the details on that, it has been a long time
since I last booted one of my Amiga systems.

Many classic Amiga users may not deal with such large disks, but AmigaOS
4 users probably still, and some of them may run Linux on their PowerPC
motherboards as well.

So I think the issue is worth fixing and am looking into submitting the
fix, which looks pretty straight-forward to me upstream unless someone
bets me to it.

Thanks,
--
Martin

  Last update: 2018-04-27 10:01    [W:0.309 / U:1.120 seconds]