SubjectRe: Boot failures with net-next after rebase to v4.17.0-rc1
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 13:04:23 -0700
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 12:54 PM, Jesper Dangaard Brouer
> <brouer@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm experiencing boot failures with net-next git-tree after it got
> > rebased/merged with Linus'es tree at v4.17.0-rc1.
>
> I suspect it's the global bit stuff that came in very late in the
> merge window, and had been developed and tested for a while before,
> but showed some problems under some configs.
>
> The fix is currently in the x86/pti tree in -tip, see:
>
> x86/pti: Fix boot problems from Global-bit setting
>
> and I expect it will percolate upstream soon.
>
> In the meantime, it would be good to verify that merging that x86/pti
> branch fixes it for you?

Thanks for spotting this so quickly!
I have verified that this DOES solve the issue for me :-)))

If others are hit by this, and cannot wait for Linus to pull the tip
tree, this is the pull command:

git pull git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git x86/pti

> There is another candidate for boot problems - do you happen to have
> CONFIG_DEFERRED_STRUCT_PAGE_INIT enabled? That can under certain
> circumstances get a percpu setup page fault because memory hadn't been
> initialized sufficiently.

CONFIG_DEFERRED_STRUCT_PAGE_INIT is not set

--
Best regards,
Jesper Dangaard Brouer

  Last update: 2018-04-25 09:17    [W:1.343 / U:2.116 seconds]