SubjectRe: [RFC] tracing: Improve design of preemptirq tracepoints and its users
On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 6:39 PM, Joel Fernandes <joelaf@google.com> wrote:
> This patch detaches the preemptirq tracepoints from the tracers and
> keeps it separate. With this, several ifdefs are cleaner, and lockdep
> and other users can use the preemptirq tracepoints by registering probes
> onto them. This makes it much cleaner, but not just that: PROVE_LOCKING
> and CONFIG_IRQSOFF_TRACER can be enabled now at the same time and we
> get rid of all the horrific ifdeferry around PROVE_LOCKING.

Sorry for the misstatement, irqsoff tracer and PROVE_LOCKING can still
be used at the same time (without this patch). I will correct the
commit message in the next rev. However this patch avoids the
complication that arises when enabling the 2 together, by eliminating
time_hardirqs_on/off.

thanks,

- Joel

  Last update: 2018-02-06 08:16    [W:0.044 / U:0.908 seconds]