SubjectRe: ftrace: Proposal for an Alternative RecordMcount framework
On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 05:12:52AM +0800, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 18:04:26 +0800
> Alan Kao <alankao@andestech.com> wrote:
>
> > 1. During the final linking stages, do "objdump vmlinux.o | grep ..." [2]
>
> Note, doing it at that stage takes the longest time. It makes small
> changes much longer to compile. That said...

What if we can have some option to *disable* all the recordmcount.pl lauches
after every .o? There will be only an oneshot grep for a near-complete
vmlinux binary.

> > 2. Form the output as an ELF objecj
> > 3. Link the object to __mcount_loc_start symbol
> > 4. Done
> >
> > With the similar reason as the patch [3], we should mark _mcount to be
> > a weak symbol to prevent it from being relaxed later.
> >
> > We would like to know your opinion and comments on this.
> > Thanks!
>
> What about just having your arch use recordmcount.c instead? It doesn't
> do any grepping. It is an elf reader and modifier and modifies the .o
> file directly.

Thanks for the hint. But after a quick scan, it seems that recordmcount.c
processes .o files in a per-file basis, which means that we will still
suffer from the linker relaxation problem.

> Note, I will be rewriting that code in the near future too, to
> consolidate it with objtool.
>
> -- Steve

Please allow me to state the problem more clearly here. I hope this helps.

1. locations of mcount are recorded in a per-file basis.
2. to optimize the binary, the linker turns on some aggressive
options, including relaxation.
3. the optimizations changes the original offset.
4. already recorded mcount call-sites no longer point to their
real positions.
5. still a linked vmlinux is made.
6. dynamic ftrace breaks the real logic in the kernel space,
panics happen.

Thanks,
Alan

  Last update: 2018-03-01 03:08    [W:0.056 / U:0.172 seconds]