SubjectRe: [RFC 00/12] KVM/X86: Introduce a new guest mapping API
On 02/05/2018 08:26 PM, Mihai Donțu wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-02-05 at 19:47 +0100, KarimAllah Ahmed wrote:
>> Guest memory can either be directly managed by the kernel (i.e. have a "struct
>> page") or they can simply live outside kernel control (i.e. do not have a
>> "struct page"). KVM mostly support these two modes, except in a few places
>> where the code seems to assume that guest memory must have a "struct page".
>
> In cases where there is no 'struct page', would it be possible to get
> two VM-s to share memory (in the way Xen's grant tables do)?
>
> We are working on a page sharing mechanism and would like to know if
> this use case can be accommodated.

If your code is posted somewhere, I can take a look and let you know it
can be accommodated or not.

> Thank you,
>
>> This patchset introduces a new mapping function to map guest memory into host
>> kernel memory. Ideally I should also get rid of all guest mapping functions
>> that end up converting a guest address to a page, but I decided to get feedback
>> on this first and see if this is an acceptable API.
>>
>> Most of the offending code paths that has been updated are in the nested code
>> base. Mostly because I stumbled upon this code while looking at the nested MSR
>> bitmap handling for the IBRS patches. There are also offending code paths in
>> SVM code, but I will do that once the interface is accepted.
>>
>> KarimAllah Ahmed (12):
>> KVM: Introduce helper functions to map/unmap guest memory
>> KVM/VMX: Use the new host mapping API for apic_access_page
>> KVM/VMX: Use the new host mapping API for virtual_apic_page
>> KVM/VMX: Use the new host mapping API for pi_desc_page
>> KVM/VMX: Use the new host mapping API for mapping nested vmptr
>> KVM/VMX: Use the new host mapping API for handle_vmptrld
>> KVM/VMX: Use the new host mapping API for mapping L12 MSR bitmap
>> KVM/VMX: Use the new host mapping API for mapping nested PML
>> KVM/VMX: Use the new host mapping API for cmpxchg_emulated
>> KVM/VMX: Use the new host mapping API for synic_clear_sint_msg_pending
>> KVM/VMX: Use the new host mapping API for synic_deliver_msg
>> KVM/VMX: Remove kvm_vcpu_gpa_to_page as it is now unused
>>
>> arch/x86/kvm/hyperv.c | 24 +++----
>> arch/x86/kvm/vmx.c | 159 ++++++++++++++++++++---------------------------
>> arch/x86/kvm/x86.c | 12 ++--
>> include/linux/kvm_host.h | 18 +++++-
>> virt/kvm/kvm_main.c | 62 ++++++++++++++++++
>> 5 files changed, 161 insertions(+), 114 deletions(-)
>>
>> Cc: Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com>
>> Cc: Radim Krčmář <rkrcmar@redhat.com>
>> Cc: kvm@vger.kernel.org
>> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org

Amazon Development Center Germany GmbH
Berlin - Dresden - Aachen
main office: Krausenstr. 38, 10117 Berlin
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Dr. Ralf Herbrich, Christian Schlaeger
Ust-ID: DE289237879
Eingetragen am Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 149173 B

  Last update: 2018-02-10 12:34    [W:0.279 / U:0.380 seconds]