SubjectRe: [RFC] avoid indirect calls for DMA direct mappings
On Thu,  6 Dec 2018 07:37:19 -0800
Christoph Hellwig <hch@lst.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> a while ago Jesper reported major performance regressions due to the
> spectre v2 mitigations in his XDP forwarding workloads. A large part
> of that is due to the DMA mapping API indirect calls.
>
> It turns out that the most common implementation of the DMA API is the
> direct mapping case, and now that we have merged almost all duplicate
> implementations of that into a single generic one is easily feasily to
> direct calls for this fast path.
>
> This patch adds a check if we are using dma_direct_ops in each fast path
> DMA operation, and just uses a direct call instead. For the XDP workload
> this increases the number of packets per second from 7,438,283 to
> 9,610,088, so it provides a very significant speedup.

Full test report avail here:
https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-project/blob/master/areas/dma/dma01_test_hellwig_direct_dma.org

--
Best regards,
Jesper Dangaard Brouer

  Last update: 2018-12-06 18:45    [W:0.059 / U:1.828 seconds]