SubjectRe: INFO: rcu detected stall in xfrm_hash_rebuild
Date
Am Montag, 10. Dezember 2018, 09:58:56 schrieb David Miller:
> From: Florian Westphal <fw@strlen.de>
> Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 13:47:24 +0100
>
> > After recent tree conversion, we could probably make the exact policies
> > part of the 'inexact tree' (which would be renamed to 'policy tree' or
> > some such).
> >
> > Special-casing the exact policies made a lot of sense when we had
> > a single list for the inexact policies (to keep its length down).
> >
> > But now I think we could try to unify all of this and only maintain
> > the existing tree-based storage.
> >
> > Would also remove the need to do lookups in two different
> > data structures (bydst-hash-then-inexact-tree).
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> I think this makes a lot of sense.

Sites mainly using tunnel mode this certainly makes sense.

I'm not so sure for transport mode. With transport mode the netmask usually is
/32 or /128, respectively (there may also be trap-rules). So a site only using
transport mode (road warrior scenario, for example) may see a large
performance regression if this is changed. They may do not have many entries
in the inexact list if any at all.

Maybe there are a lot more transport mode users than tunnel mode users, this
would explain why the removal of the flowcache did not hit that many people.

We do not use transport mode, so I'm not familiar how strongswan for example
handles that. I think that since 5.3 or so strongwans allows a catch rule
(inexact) and then inserts exact policy rules on the fly. But I don't know for
sure. There are a lot of tests on strongswan for different scenarios which
also demonstrate how policy and state table finally will look like on all
hosts.

Here is one with such a scenario (transport mode trap policy on a gateway,
three road warriors):

https://www.strongswan.org/testing/testresults/ikev2/trap-any/

So I would try to find users who are heavy users of transport mode and see how
this change would impact there performance.

Regards,
--
Wolfgang Walter
Studentenwerk München

  Last update: 2018-12-14 14:16    [W:3.206 / U:0.008 seconds]