SubjectRe: A weird problem of Realtek r8168 after resume from S3
On 14.12.2018 04:33, Chris Chiu wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 10:20 AM Chris Chiu <chiu@endlessm.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> We got an acer laptop which has a problem with ethernet networking after
>> resuming from S3. The ethernet is popular realtek r8168. The lspci shows as
>> follows.
>> 02:00.1 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
>> RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 12)

Helpful would be a "dmesg | grep r8169", especially chip name + XID.

>> The problem is the ethernet is not accessible after resume. Pinging via
>> ethernet always shows the response `Destination Host Unreachable`. However,
>> the interesting part is, when I run tcpdump to monitor the problematic ethernet
>> interface, the networking is back to alive. But it's dead again after
>> I stop tcpdump.
>> One more thing, if I ping the problematic machine from others, it achieves the
>> same effect as above tcpdump. Maybe it's about the register setting for RX path?

You could compare the register dumps (ethtool -d) before and after S3 sleep
to find out whether there's a difference.

>> I tried the latest 4.20 rc version but the problem still there. I
>> also tried some
>> hw_reset or init thing in the resume path but no effect. Any
>> suggestion for this?
>> Thanks

Did previous kernel versions work? If it's a regression, a bisect would be
appreciated, because with the chip versions I've got I can't reproduce the issue.

>> Chris
>
> Gentle ping. Any additional information required?
>
> Chris

Heiner

  Last update: 2018-12-14 08:37    [W:0.178 / U:0.064 seconds]