SubjectRE: RESEND: About VBUS glitch happen on DWC3 host mode enabling process.
Date
Hi Felipe & Mathias,
It seems that my below reply mail failed to be shown on lkml.org.
So I have to resend it. Like to have your comment/suggestion before I begin the
solution implement work. Thanks

Ran Wang <ran.wang_1@nxp.com> wrote:

> Hello Felipe,
>
> Felipe Balbi <balbi@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ran,

> > > That's the point I also want to make clear: do you mean that the
> > > VBUS control signal come from DWC3 IP should not be pulled down when
> > > xHCI controller conduct reset?
> > > And sorry that I am not quite sure about the 'global reset' you
> > > mentioned. Do you mean to a DWC3 global reset or SoC reset?
> > >
> > > My understanding is that since VBUS control signal only be
> > > meaningful in USB host mode (xHCI), so it might be in the
> > > scope/control of xHCI controller, meaning that xHCI reset trigger
> > > VBUS/USB_DRVVBUS(EN) pulled low might make sense, am I right? And
> > > the information come from
> > > DWC3 IP design has confirmed that PORTSC[PP] will be de-asserted
> > > during HCRST, it seems this is native behavior on
> > > DWC3 IP.
> >
> > okay, so the thing is about PP being dropped. Right, that should
> > happen indeed. However, this still shouldn't cause any problems, since
> > peripheral side shouldn't connect its pull-ups until VBUS is above
> > session valid threshold.
> >
> > For how long is VBUS dropped in this case?
>
> The duration of VBUS drop is about 7.5ms (for USB_DRVVBUS is about 22us) I
> have to admitted only that 2 brands of USB drives encountered failures,
> others are fine, according my test results. Just thinking that this glitch
> properly trigger those potential defect of that USB drives on the market
> which might not totally follow USB spec, so like to do something in SW side
> to make host more robust.

> > help you with.
> > >
> > > I didn't mean to blame driver alone, just found the time interval
> > > between host mode enabling and host reset causing a observable VBUS
> > > control signal glitch happen we didn't expected. And experiments
> > > proved that VBUS on between host mode enabling and host reset might
> > not be necessary and can avoid this potential risk.

> > > Please see my above answer.
> > > These Layerscape platforms are support upstream, I can run them with
> > > pure upstream build directly.
> >
> > that's good, then we can debug this. Can you collect xhci tracepoints
> > of when the problem happens?
>
> Sorry, did you mean open xhci dynamic printk support for xhci?
>
> Actually I have debugged this for a while, the enumeration failure is due to
> that USB drive reported another USB device descriptor once encounter VBUS
> glitch. It's interesting. Look like it suddenly become another USB drive and
> finally fail at SCSI protocol communication (TEST UNIT READY feedback), I
> attach the snapshot pic of USB trace log to this mail, not sure if you can
> receive it.
>
> My judgement on this is that USB drive might has multiple device config
> information stored in EPROM and report the wrong one in some corner case
> (like encounter VBUS glitch) by accidently. And obviously that chosen device
> config is not ready to behave as a Mass Storage/SCSI device. I have checked
> [...]

Regards,
Ran

  Last update: 2018-12-12 09:56    [W:0.045 / U:0.272 seconds]