SubjectRe: remove the ->mapping_error method from dma_map_ops V3
On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 02:22:08PM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Error reporting for the dma_map_single and dma_map_page operations is
> currently a mess. Both APIs directly return the dma_addr_t to be used for
> the DMA, with a magic error escape that is specific to the instance and
> checked by another method provided. This has a few downsides:
>
> - the error check is easily forgotten and a __must_check marker doesn't
> help as the value always is consumed anyway
> - the error checking requires another indirect call, which have gotten
> incredibly expensive
> - a lot of code is wasted on implementing these methods
>
> The historical reason for this is that people thought DMA mappings would
> not fail when the API was created, which sounds like a really bad
> assumption in retrospective, and then we tried to cram error handling
> onto it later on.
>
> There basically are two variants: the error code is 0 because the
> implementation will never return 0 as a valid DMA address, or the error
> code is all-F as the implementation won't ever return an address that
> high. The old AMD GART is the only one not falling into these two camps
> as it picks sort of a relative zero relative to where it is mapped.
>
> The 0 return doesn't work for direct mappings that have ram at address
> zero and a lot of IOMMUs that start allocating bus space from address
> zero, so we can't consolidate on that, but I think we can move everyone
> to all-Fs, which the patch here does. The reason for that is that
> there is only one way to ever get this address: by doing a 1-byte long,
> 1-byte aligned mapping, but all our mappings are not only longer but
> generally aligned, and the mappings have to keep at least the basic
> alignment.
>
> A git tree is also available here:
>
> git://git.infradead.org/users/hch/misc.git dma-mapping-error.3

Hi Chris,

For patches 1, 3 and 23,

Acked-by: Russell King <rmk+kernel@armlinux.org.uk>

Thanks.

--
RMK's Patch system: http://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up

  Last update: 2018-11-30 20:00    [W:0.128 / U:0.112 seconds]