SubjectRe: Linux 4.20-rc1
On Sun, Nov 04, 2018 at 04:12:45PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Because yes, the merge window is two weeks, but it's two weeks partly
> exactly _because_ people (not just me) sometimes need extra time to
> resolve any possible issues, not because regular everyday pull
> requests should spread out over the whole two weeks. The development
> for things meant for the next release should have been done by the
> time the merge window opens.
>
> Anyway, let's see. Maybe it won't be needed. It hasn't become a
> problem, it just was starting to feel a bit tight there.

I'm curious what others find to be the cause of hitting the second half
of the merge window. For my part, I have traditionally monitored the
tail end of the RC period waiting for the version tag to land. Other
times, like this time, work and travel get hectic, and I realize later
than I should that it was time to send in the PR.

I imagine many of us have just written notification scripts for version
tags, or emails from you matching certain subject patterns - but for my
part, a more predictable end of the RC period and/or an explicit email
to maintainers listed in the MAINTAINER file would be helpful. Would you
consider adding a step to your git tag process to scan the MAINTAINERS
file and send us a "Ready your PRs!" email with a note about preferring
to get these during the first week wherever possible? This seems like it
could be easily automated, easily filtered by those that might not want
it, and reduces the number of times you have to explain your preference
as new maintainers come and go.

--
Darren Hart
VMware Open Source Technology Center

  Last update: 2018-11-07 00:05    [W:0.068 / U:1.396 seconds]