SubjectRe: [RFC 1/2] dt-bindings: topology: Add RISC-V cpu topology.
On 11/2/18 8:50 AM, Sudeep Holla wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 10:11:38AM -0500, Rob Herring wrote:

>>> We still need that, I can brush it up and post what Lorenzo had previously
>>> proposed[1]. We want to keep both DT and ACPI CPU topology story aligned.
>>
>> Frankly, I don't care what the ACPI story is. I care whether each cpu
>
> Sorry I meant feature parity with ACPI and didn't refer to the mechanics.
>
>> arch does its own thing in DT or not. If a package prop works for
>> RISC-V folks and that happens to align with ACPI, then okay. Though I
>> tend to prefer a package represented as a node rather than a property
>> as I think that's more consistent.
>>

> Sounds good. One of the reason for making it *optional* property is for
> backward compatibility. But we should be able to deal with that even with
> node.

If you are introducing a package node, can we make cluster node
optional? I feel it is a redundant node for use cases where one doesn't
have a different grouped cpus in a package.

We may have some architecture that requires cluster, it can be added to
the DT at that time, I believe.

>> Any comments on the thread aspect (whether it has ever been used)?
>> Though I think thread as a node level is more consistent with each
>> topology level being a node (same with package).
>>
> Not 100% sure, the only multi threaded core in the market I know is
> Cavium TX2 which is ACPI.

Any advantages of keeping thread node if it's not being used. If I am
not wrong, we can always use multiple cpuN phandles to represent SMT
nodes. It will result in less code and DT documentation as well.

Regards,
Atish
> --
> Regards,
> Sudeep

  Last update: 2018-11-02 21:55    [W:0.241 / U:0.404 seconds]