SubjectRe: Will the recent memory leak fixes be backported to longterm kernels?
Date
On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 05:51:47PM +0100, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Fri 02-11-18 16:22:41, Roman Gushchin wrote:

> > > This is unexpected. 90cbc2508827e was introduced to address offline
> > > memcgs to be reclaim even when they are small. But maybe you mean that
> > > we still leak in an absence of the memory pressure. Or what does prevent
> > > memcg from going down?
> >
> > There are 3 independent issues which are contributing to this leak:
> > 1) Kernel stack accounting weirdness: processes can reuse stack accounted to
> > different cgroups. So basically any running process can take a reference to any
> > cgroup.
>
> yes, but kmem accounting should rule that out, right? If not then this
> is a clear bug and easy to backport because that would mean to add a
> missing memcg_kmem_enabled check.

Yes, you're right, disabling kmem accounting should mitigate this problem.

> > 2) We do forget to scan the last page in the LRU list. So if we ended up with
> > 1-page long LRU, it can stay there basically forever.
>
> Why
> /*
> * If the cgroup's already been deleted, make sure to
> * scrape out the remaining cache.
> */
> if (!scan && !mem_cgroup_online(memcg))
> scan = min(size, SWAP_CLUSTER_MAX);
>
> in get_scan_count doesn't work for that case?

No, it doesn't. Let's look at the whole picture:

size = lruvec_lru_size(lruvec, lru, sc->reclaim_idx);
scan = size >> sc->priority;
/*
* If the cgroup's already been deleted, make sure to
* scrape out the remaining cache.
*/
if (!scan && !mem_cgroup_online(memcg))
scan = min(size, SWAP_CLUSTER_MAX);

If size == 1, scan == 0 => scan = min(1, 32) == 1.
And after proportional adjustment we'll have 0.

So, disabling kmem accounting mitigates 2 other issues, but not this one.

Anyway, I'd prefer to wait a bit for test results, and backport the whole
series as a whole.

Thanks!

  Last update: 2018-11-02 18:27    [W:0.087 / U:0.816 seconds]