SubjectRe: [RFC 0/3] Unify CPU topology across ARM64 & RISC-V
On 11/8/2018 6:50 PM, Atish Patra wrote:
> The cpu-map DT entry in ARM64 can describe the CPU topology in
> much better way compared to other existing approaches. RISC-V can
> easily adopt this binding to represent it's own CPU topology.
> Thus, both cpu-map DT binding and topology parsing code can be
> moved to a common location so that RISC-V or any other
> architecture can leverage that.
>
> The relevant discussion regarding unifying cpu topology can be
> found in [1].
>
> arch_topology seems to be a perfect place to move the common
> code. I have not introduced any functional changes in the moved
> to code. The only downside in this approach is that the capacity
> code will be executed for RISC-V as well. But, it will exit
> immediately after not able to find the appropriate DT node. If
> the overhead is considered too much, we can always compile out
> capacity related functions under a different config for the
> architectures that do not support them.
>
> The patches have been tested for RISC-V and compile tested for
> ARM64.
>
> The socket changes[2] can be merged on top of this series or vice
> versa.
>
> [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/11/6/19
> [2] https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/11/7/918
>
> Atish Patra (3):
> dt-binding: cpu-topology: Move cpu-map to a common binding.
> cpu-topology: Move cpu topology code to common code.
> RISC-V: Parse cpu topology during boot.
>
> Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/topology.txt | 475 -------------------
> .../devicetree/bindings/cpu/cpu-topology.txt | 526 +++++++++++++++++++++
> arch/arm64/include/asm/topology.h | 23 +-
> arch/arm64/kernel/topology.c | 305 +-----------
> arch/riscv/Kconfig | 1 +
> arch/riscv/kernel/smpboot.c | 6 +-
> drivers/base/arch_topology.c | 303 ++++++++++++
> include/linux/arch_topology.h | 23 +
> include/linux/topology.h | 1 +
> delete mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/topology.txt
> create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/cpu/cpu-topology.txt

I was interested in testing these on QDF2400, an ARM64 platform, since
this series touches core ARM64 code and I'd hate to see a regression.
However, I can't figure out what baseline to use to apply these.
Different patches cause different conflicts of a variety of baselines I
attempted.

What are these intended to apply to?

Also, you might want to run them through checkpatch next time. There
are several whitespace errors.

--
Jeffrey Hugo
Qualcomm Datacenter Technologies as an affiliate of Qualcomm

  Last update: 2018-11-15 19:32    [W:0.076 / U:0.184 seconds]