SubjectRe: [RFC v2 1/7] MIPS: Add support for the Lexra LX5280 CPU
On Mon, 1 Oct 2018, Yasha Cherikovsky wrote:

> The Lexra LX5280 CPU [1][2] implements the MIPS-I ISA,
> without unaligned load/store instructions (lwl, lwr, swl, swr).

I think you actually need to emulate these missing instructions for user
programs, so that the 32-bit MIPS psABI is supported and standard software
can run unmodified. There'll be a performance hit and software will best
be recompiled for the limited instruction set provided by actual hardware,
however rebuilding is not always possible or feasible (also handcoded
assembly may require actual reimplementation here and there).

> - RDHWR instruction emulation from the page fault handler
> (more details in a code comment)

The details are lacking I am afraid and I think it would be good to have
them provided for long-term support to be feasible.

First, the MIPS architecture does not have a single "page fault"
exception. There are three MMU exception codes defined: Mod, TLBL and
TLBS, and also two vectors, either the TLB Refill or the General
Exception. So please be specific which of those are taken by the LX5280
with the RDHWR instruction.

Second, please explain why this MMU exception happens, i.e. does the CPU
decode the SPECIAL3 major opcode as an I-Type memory access instruction,
and then faults on `GPR[0] + offset' pointing to an unmapped page?

If documentation is publicly available this information can be inferred
from, then please provide a reference; otherwise please just describe the
observed behaviour as you know it.

Maciej

  Last update: 2018-11-13 17:34    [W:0.158 / U:0.520 seconds]