SubjectRe: Oops in current tree in i2c
Hi,

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 11:45 AM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Linus,
>
> On 27-10-18 18:08, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Julian, Jiri,
> > On my laptop I'm getting a kernel page fault with the current git
> > tree, and I'm tentatively blaming commit
> >
> > 9ee3e06610fd ("HID: i2c-hid: override HID descriptors for certain devices")
> >
> > but that's simply because it's the only thing that seems to touch this
> > particular area in this merge window.
> >
> > The oops looks like this:
> >
> > BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 000000007a25d598
> > PGD 0 P4D 0
> > Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP PTI
> > CPU: 1 PID: 888 Comm: systemd-udevd Not tainted 4.19.0-07715-g345671ea0f92 #4
> > Hardware name: Dell Inc. XPS 13 9350/09JHRY, BIOS 1.7.0 01/16/2018
> > RIP: 0010:strstr+0x19/0x70
> >
> > where the code disassembly (and the register contents) shows that the
> > wild pointer is the first argument to "strstr()", which just has a
> > bogus value that is not a valid kernel pointer (RDI: 000000007a25d598
> > - which is obviously also the address of the page fault)
> >
> > The call trace is:
> >
> > dmi_matches+0x55/0xc0
> > dmi_first_match+0x26/0x40
> > i2c_hid_get_dmi_i2c_hid_desc_override+0x16/0x40 [i2c_hid]
> > i2c_hid_probe+0x28c/0x760 [i2c_hid]
> > i2c_device_probe+0x1e7/0x260
> > really_probe+0xf8/0x3e0
> > driver_probe_device+0x10f/0x120
> > bus_for_each_drv+0x66/0xb0
> > __device_attach+0xd9/0x150
> > bus_probe_device+0x8a/0xa0
> > device_add+0x48e/0x660
> > i2c_new_device+0x162/0x350
> >
> > which is why I suspect that new i2c_hid_get_dmi_hid_report_desc_override() code.
> >
> > I *think* the problem is that the i2c_hid_dmi_desc_override_table[]
> > isn't terminated by a NULL entry, and I will test that next.

Thanks for fixing that in master. I should have spotted it while
reviewing the series. My bad.

> Yes that likely is the problem. I already had a bug report from one of the
> Manjaro maintainers who was cherry picking this into the Manjaro kernel.
>
> So I ran some tests on a laptop of mine which does use i2c-hid but I
> failed to reproduce the issue, so we both (me and the Manjaro maintainer)
> both assumed something went wrong with the backport.
>
> Both of us seem to have overlooked the missing terminating entry,
> as well as other people involved in the patch.
>
> > What makes me *very* unhappy about this is that if I'm right, I think
> > it means that code was literally not tested at all by anybody who
> > didn't have one of the entries in that list.
>
> That is not true, I've hit one of these unterminated dmi lists
> issues before and it depends on what get put in mem directly
> after the list by the linker, bugs caused by this do not always
> reproduce unfortunately.
>
> And as mentioned I have tested the patch on a machine with an i2c-hid
> touchpad, which is not on the list and I did not hit this problem.

Oh. This explains why I was also sure I tested this on a i2c-hid
laptop without having the oops.

I'll try to setup some automate testing for those also.

Cheers,
Benjamin

> Anyways this is fixed now, thank you for catching this.
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

  Last update: 2018-10-29 09:36    [W:0.271 / U:0.712 seconds]