SubjectRe: Git pull ack emails..
On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 09:41:32AM +0100, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Because yes, the second option likely works fine in most cases, but my
> pull might not actually be final *if* something goes bad (where bad
> might be just "oops, my tests showed a semantic conflict, I'll need to
> fix up my merge" to "I'm going to have to look more closely at that
> warning" to "uhhuh, I'm going to just undo the pull entirely because
> it ended up being broken").

Is that a big problem ? I mean probably those who need an ACK just want
to be sure their PR was not lost between them and you. It's not a guarantee
that the code will be kept till the release anyway, and I tend to think
that changing your mind after attempting a build is not different than
changing your mind 3 days later. So when this happens, you're possibly
expected to simply notify the author later saying "sorry, I changed my
mind and finally I dropped your code for this or that reason". That
should be enough to cover the vast majority of use cases, no ?

Just my two cents,
Willy

  Last update: 2018-10-23 11:04    [W:0.134 / U:0.088 seconds]