SubjectRe: [Ksummit-discuss] [GIT PULL] code of conduct fixes for 4.19-rc8
On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 09:16:20PM -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-10-22 at 22:10 +0100, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 01:15:14PM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> > > This is the series of patches which has been discussed on both ksummit-
> > > discuss and linux-kernel for the past few weeks. As Shuah said when
> > > kicking off the process, it's designed as a starting point for the next
> > > phase of the discussion, not as the end point, so it's only really a
> > > set of minor updates to further that goal.
> > >
> > > The merger of the three patches to show the combined effect is attached
> > > below. However, Greg recently posted the next phase of the discussion,
> > > so people will be asking what the merger of the series looks like.
> > > Ignoring the non-CoC documents, I think it looks like this
> >
> > Sorry for not responding sooner for this, travel and the meeting today
> > took up my time.
> >
> > Anyway, as we discussed today in the Maintainers summit, let's leave the
> > Code of Conduct text alone for now. It matches what "upstream" has with
> > the exception of removing that one paragraph. If you have issues with
> > the wording in it, please work with upstream to fix the issues there as
> > hundreds of other projects will benefit with your changes if they are
> > really needed.
>
> Given the different development models, that's not
> a very compelling argument.
>
> As James Bottomley has suggested multiple times,
> I'd much rather kernel development use the debian
> code of conduct verbatim than even this modified one.
>
> https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct

The Debian code of conduct doesn't do nearly as good a job of addressing
issues. (Debian also adopted that code of conduct back when such codes
weren't nearly as well understood or established.) Many people *in*
Debian, including supporters of their current CoC, have an interest in
improving it further and/or adopting a more well-established one.

  Last update: 2018-10-23 09:08    [W:0.061 / U:23.284 seconds]