SubjectRe: [GIT PULL rcu/next] RCU commits for 4.20/5.0
On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 10:24:29AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@linux.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello, Ingo,
> >
> > This pull request contains the following changes:
> >
> > 1. Documentation updates, including some good-eye catches from
> > Joel Fernandes.
> >
> > http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20180829211637.GA20980@linux.vnet.ibm.com
> >
> > 2. SRCU updates, most notably changes enabling call_srcu() to be
> > invoked very early in the boot sequence.
> >
> > http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20180829212036.GA22033@linux.vnet.ibm.com
> >
> > 3. Torture-test updates, including some preliminary work towards
> > making rcutorture better able to find problems that result in
> > insufficient grace-period forward progress.
> >
> > http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20180829214722.GA23411@linux.vnet.ibm.com
> >
> > 4. Consolidate the RCU-bh, RCU-preempt, and RCU-sched flavors into
> > a single flavor similar to RCU-sched in !PREEMPT kernels and
> > into a single flavor similar to RCU-preempt (but also waiting
> > on preempt-disabled sequences of code) in PREEMPT kernels. This
> > branch also includes a refactoring of rcu_{nmi,irq}_{enter,exit}()
> > from Byungchul Park.
> >
> > http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20180829222021.GA29944@linux.vnet.ibm.com
> >
> > 5. Now that there is only one RCU flavor in any given running kernel,
> > the many "rsp" pointers are no longer required, and this cleanup
> > series removes them.
> >
> > http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20180829223830.GA1800@linux.vnet.ibm.com
> >
> > 6. This branch carries out additional cleanups made possible by
> > the RCU flavor consolidation, including inlining how-trivial
> > functions, updating comments and definitions, and removing
> > now-unneeded rcutorture scenarios.
> >
> > http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20180829225340.GA7019@linux.vnet.ibm.com
> >
> > 7. Initial changes to RCU to better promote forward progress of
> > grace periods, including fixing a bug found by Marius Hillenbrand
> > and David Woodhouse, with the fix suggested by Peter Zijlstra.
> >
> > http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20180829230035.GA7751@linux.vnet.ibm.com
> >
> > 8. Now that there is only one flavor of RCU in any running kernel,
> > there is also only on rcu_data structure per CPU. This means
> > that the rcu_dynticks structure can be merged into the rcu_data
> > structure, a task taken on by this branch. This branch also
> > contains a -rt-related fix from Mike Galbraith.
> >
> > http://lkml.kernel.org/r/20180829230715.GA9431@linux.vnet.ibm.com
> >
> > Once again, the layout of this pull request is unusual due to the large
> > footprint of the commits in #4-#8 above. These five branches are therefore
> > stacked on top of each other instead of my usual practice of laying them
> > out in parallel.
> >
> > This pull request decreases the size of RCU by more than 450 lines,
> > offsetting the increase of the v4.19 merge window. I expect a further
> > decrease due to additional outside-of-RCU cleanups, though this will be
> > offset by additional forward-progress testing and fixes in response to
> > Marius's and David's location of a forward-progress bug that escaped to
> [...]

Glad you like it! ;-)

Which reminds me...

If you are running rcutorture in -tip on NO_HZ_FULL kernel with RCU
callback offloading enabled, you are not extremely excited about
getting splats from rcutorture's new forward-progress testing,
I reccommend that you add "rcutorture.fwd_progress=0" to your kernel
boot parameters. I added forward-progress testing because of people
finding a forward-progress issue in real-life testing. (The fix to that
specific issue is included and called out in #7 above.)

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2018-10-02 12:05    [W:0.049 / U:0.820 seconds]