SubjectRe: [RFC 1/4] pwm: sifive: Add DT documentation for SiFive PWM Controller.
On 10/17/18 8:58 AM, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 03:20:34PM -0700, Atish Patra wrote:

>>> Isn't the hardware identified by "sifive,pwm0" and "sifive,fu540-c000"
>>> effectively identical?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Is there a need to have two compatible strings
>>> that refer to the exact same hardware?
>>>

>> The DT in the hardware has only sifive,pwm0. I have added
>> "sifive,fu540-c000" as that was concluded as the correct compatible string
>> from platform level interrupt controller patch(PLIC) discussion.
>>
>> (http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-riscv/2018-August/001135.html)
>>
>> "sifive,pwm0" is required to until all the Unleashed SoC gets an updated
>> firmware with correct compatible string "sifive,fu540-c000". I agree this is
>> a mess. But we have to carry it until all every DT(corresponding to each
>> driver) is finalized. I guess SiFive will release a firmware update that
>> contains all the updated DT once that is done. We can get rid of all the
>> redundant compatible strings at that time.
>
> I don't want to repeat compatible string discussions on each and every
> IP block. I already have to do this with some vendors.
>

> The RiscV vendors' needs and design flow are a bit different from
> traditional SoC vendors AIUI for the last discussion. If you need to do
> something that doesn't follow normal conventions, that's fine. Just
> please document a convention that works for you. This should explain
> where the '0' above comes from for example. And I'm not a fan of s/w
> folks making up version numbers.
> Sorry for bringing up the same discussion. My aim was just to reiterate
the suggestion you made on the other other thread (i.e. PLIC compatible
strings) and use the same format used in PLIC block. As these IP
blocks(pwm & gpio) are also from SiFive for the same Soc (HiFive
Unleashed board), I was just trying to clarify that this driver also
follows the exact same convention adopted for PLIC IP block.

Regards,
Atish

> Rob

  Last update: 2018-10-17 23:46    [W:0.075 / U:0.892 seconds]