SubjectRE: Feedback on 4.9 performance after PTI fixes
Date
From: Willy Tarreau
> Sent: 07 January 2018 10:19
> The impact inside VMs is quite big but it's not where we usuall install
> processes sensitive to syscall performance. I could find an even higher
> impact on a packet generation program dropping from 2.5 Mpps to 600kpps
> in the VM after the fix, but it doesn't make much sense to do this in
> VMs so I don't really care.

Why not?
It will be related to the cost of sending (and probably receiving)
network traffic in a VM.
This is something that is done a lot.

Maybe not packet generation, but a UDP/IP benchmark inside a VM would
be sensible.
It may well be that moderate ethernet packet rates cause a massive
performance drop when the host kernel has PTI enabled.

David

  Last update: 2018-01-14 23:17    [W:1.389 / U:0.012 seconds]