SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Git v2.16.0-rc0
Bryan Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 9:07 PM, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:

>> So my first question is why the basename detection is not working for
>> you. What value of GIT_SSH, GIT_SSH_COMMAND, or core.sshCommand are
>> you using?
>
> So I'd been digging further into this for the last hour because I
> wasn't seeing quite the behavior I was expecting when I ran Git from
> the command line on Ubuntu 12.04 or 14.04, and this nudged me to the
> right answer: We're setting GIT_SSH to a wrapper script. In our case,
> that wrapper script is just calling OpenSSH's ssh with all the
> provided arguments (plus a couple extra ones), but because we're
> setting GIT_SSH at all, that's why the auto variant code is running.
> That being the case, explicitly setting GIT_SSH_VARIANT=ssh may be the
> correct thing to do, to tell Git that we want to be treated like
> "normal" OpenSSH, as opposed to expecting Git to assume we behave like
> OpenSSH (when the Android repo use case clearly shows that assumption
> also doesn't hold).

Ah, that's a comfort. Setting GIT_SSH_VARIANT would avoid this
autodetection code and is the recommended thing to do.

That said, we can't go back in time and update everyone's tools to do
that (e.g. there is not even a release of repo with [1] out yet), so
this is still considered a regression and I'm glad you found it.

Jonathan

[1] https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/git-repo/+/134950

  Last update: 2018-01-03 06:51    [W:0.041 / U:0.064 seconds]