SubjectRe: [RFC,05/10] x86/speculation: Add basic IBRS support infrastructure
Date
Eduardo,

This is why it would be good to have a CPUID bit that says: "apply SkyLake RSB stuffing." That's preferable to "trust FMS" for VMware.

If Intel defines such a feature flag, sets it on SkyLake, and Linux uses it... that would be very helpful for VMware.

I won't speak for GCE and AWS. But hopefully they can indicate whether it would help them as well.

If Intel cannot define/implement such a flag on SkyLake, then maybe the engineers on this email could define a flag in the hypervisor specific CPUID space. Linux would need to query that flag if it sees CPUID[1].ECX[31] set. That's not as nice since it makes detection on bare metal and virtualization platforms different, but it better than keying off FMS.

David Dunn

On 1/29/18, 5:11 PM, "Eduardo Habkost" <ehabkost@redhat.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 02:49:51PM -0800, Jim Mattson wrote:
> And if we expect to introduce Cascade Lake into the pool in the
> future, we use a Cascade Lake model number?
>
> It sounds like you are suggesting that we set the model number to the
> highest model number that will ever be introduced into the pool, at
> any time in the future. That approach would also fail the
> 'is_skylake_era()' test. (Not to mention that we have no idea what
> Intel's highest compatible model number will be.)

Exactly, that's why virtualization and live-migration break the
model of just checking f/m/s/microcode: the guest doesn't need to
work around bugs that are present in the current host, but the
set of bugs that could appear on any future host it can run on.

--
Eduardo

  Last update: 2018-01-30 02:21    [W:0.054 / U:0.928 seconds]