SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] isolation: 1Hz residual tick offloading v3
On Wed, 2018-01-17 at 08:51 -0600, Christopher Lameter wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018, Mike Galbraith wrote:
>
> > > I tried to remove isolcpus or at least change the way it works so that its
> > > effects are reversible (ie: affine the init task instead of isolating domains)
> > > but that got nacked due to the behaviour's expectations for userspace.
> >
> > So we paint ourselves into a static corner forever more, despite every
> > bit of this being all about "properties of sets of cpus", ie precisely
> > what cpusets was born to do.  That's sad, dynamic wasn't that far away.
>
> cpusets was born in order to isolate applications to sets of processors.
> The properties of sets of cpus was not on the horizon when SGI started
> this.

Domain connectivity very much is a property of a set of CPUs, a rather
important one, and one managed by cpusets.  NOHZ_FULL is a property of
a set of cpus, thus a most excellent fit.  Other things are as well.

> We have sets of cpus associated with affinity masks in the form of bitmaps
> etc etc which is much more lightweight than having slug around the cgroup
> overhead everywhere.

What does everywhere mean, set creation time?

> A simple bitmask is much better if you have to control detailed system
> behavior for each core and are planning each processes role because you
> need to make full use of the harware resources available.

If you live in a static world, maybe.

I like the flexibility of being able to configure on the fly.  One tiny
example: for a high performance aircraft manufacturer, having military
simulation background, I know that simulators frequently have to be
ready to go at the drop of a hat, so I twiddled cpusets to let them
flip their extra fancy video game (80 cores, real controls/avionics...
"game over, insert one gold bar to continue" kind of fancy) from low
power idle to full bore hard realtime with one poke to a cpuset file.

Static may be fine for some, for others, dynamic is much better.

-Mike

  Last update: 2018-01-18 00:21    [W:0.080 / U:0.200 seconds]