SubjectRe: [v7 5/5] mm, oom: cgroup v2 mount option to disable cgroup-aware OOM killer
On Tue 05-09-17 20:16:09, Roman Gushchin wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2017 at 05:12:51PM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
[...]
> > > Then we should probably hide corresponding
> > > cgroup interface (oom_group and oom_priority knobs) by default,
> > > and it feels as unnecessary complication and is overall against
> > > cgroup v2 interface design.
> >
> > Why. If we care enough, we could simply return EINVAL when those knobs
> > are written while the corresponding strategy is not used.
>
> It doesn't look as a nice default interface.

I do not have a strong opinion on this. A printk_once could explain why
the knob is ignored and instruct the admin how to enable the feature
completely.

> > > It would be a really nice interface; although I've no idea how to implement it:
> > > "alloc_task" is an existing sysctl, which we have to preserve;
> >
> > I would argue that we should simply deprecate and later drop the sysctl.
> > I _strongly_ suspect anybody is using this. If yes it is not that hard
> > to change the kernel command like rather than select the sysctl.
>
> I agree. And if so, why do we need a new interface for an useless feature?

Well, I won't be opposed just deprecating the sysfs and only add a
"real" kill-allocate strategy if somebody explicitly asks for it.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2017-09-06 10:43    [W:0.276 / U:0.284 seconds]