SubjectRe: [v8 0/4] cgroup-aware OOM killer
On Tue 26-09-17 20:37:37, Tim Hockin wrote:
[...]
> I feel like David has offered examples here, and many of us at Google
> have offered examples as long ago as 2013 (if I recall) of cases where
> the proposed heuristic is EXACTLY WRONG.

I do not think we have discussed anything resembling the current
approach. And I would really appreciate some more examples where
decisions based on leaf nodes would be EXACTLY WRONG.

> We need OOM behavior to kill in a deterministic order configured by
> policy.

And nobody is objecting to this usecase. I think we can build a priority
policy on top of leaf-based decision as well. The main point we are
trying to sort out here is a reasonable semantic that would work for
most workloads. Sibling based selection will simply not work on those
that have to use deeper hierarchies for organizational purposes. I
haven't heard a counter argument for that example yet.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2017-09-27 09:44    [W:0.128 / U:0.376 seconds]